Friday, January 13, 2012

Culinary Curiosity

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

This recipe was kind of cheating. Its not really new, it has just been a REALLY long time since I've cooked it and was lucky enough that all the ingredients were in the pantry. Plus, I'm sick with a head cold from hell and was hoping the green chilies would help clear me out a bit.

This is not my recipe. I used to have a friend that would make this for dinner all the time and we would kill the whole 13x9 tray in one meal. It's SO delicious!

I'm really bad about measuring things when I cook them. This is one of those recipes that you have to adjust for the amount of people you are cooking for, so I will just tell you how much I used for an 8"x8" pyrex dish and you can add ingredients depending on how many people you are cooking for.

I'm to lazy to list out the ingredients, so I marked them in bold for you.

Preheat your oven to 375*. Boil a pack of large chicken breasts* on medium heat until they are coming a part. While those are boiling, pour the contents of a large container of sour cream, two small cans of chopped green chilies {{mind your heat levels when you buy these! They come in mild med & hot just like anything else!}} and about a cup of ricotta cheese into a bowl. Mix well. Toss in some salt & pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix again and set aside. Spray your cooking dish with baking spray and line the bottom with white or yellow corn tortillas.

Remove your chicken from the water and pull it apart. Pour chicken into sour cream mixture and mix well, so all the chicken is coated evenly. Place a few spoonfuls on the tortillas and mash it out so the chicken covers the tortilla. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Now repeat the layers until your happy with them or the dish is full. Top with mozzarella and put into the oven. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes until everything is bubbling and the cheese is pretty and brown.

My friend used to top hers with chopped lettuce and salsa, so that is how I served them.


They taste as awesome as they look!

*This recipe could also be a great way to use leftover chicken*


No comments: