Sunday, February 5, 2012

The chair

As with everything I do, when I decided to reupholster our office chair, I jumped right in without doing any research. As with most things I do, I GROSSLY underestimated the difficulty of this project. I was prepared to photo bomb you with pics of every single step in the process. But having just finished this bad boy, I'm tired.

So here are the cliff notes:

What you need~
~ Furniture with good bones and horrific upholstery fabric {{check Craigslist}}
~ A Tack Hammer
~ A Staple Gun
~ A BOAT load of staples
~ A flat head screw driver
~ Needle nose pliers
~ Band aides
~ A Current Tetanus Shot

Step One: Bask in the disgust glory that was our office chair.



Step Two: Be prepared for the decorative tacks to be individual tacks, not easy-to-remove tack strips. And then be prepared to remove 10 staples for every upholstery tack you removed.


Step Three: After removing all of the Naugahyde, staples, stabbing yourself and slicing several fingers open, tape off the permanent fixtures to the chair so it doesn't get ruined during the painting process.


Step Four: Paint.


Step 5 & 6: Sew the parts that need to be sewn together. I sewed my fabric over the piping to the chair which is much easier than making it new {{I'm assuming, I've never tried.}} Then put the components of your chair back together and staple until you cant feel your hand anymore the fabric is nicely in place.

Step 7: Stare in AWE at the things you can accomplish when you don't research the amount of time and work that will go into them.



The chair still needs the decorative tacks put on the back. Despite a few small mistakes, I was pretty impressed with the end result. I mean, heck! I have NEVER done this before! This is also one of those projects that will give you a whole new respect for people who do it for a living.

I REALLY LOVE my new chair!! While I'm pretty impressed with myself {{even if no one else is}} I think next time I'll leave the work for a professional.

Have you ever recovered furniture? Share your pictures!!

No comments: