Saturday, August 25, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Wontons

I woke up to an absolutely beautiful morning. It was in the low 60's, there was a gorgeous breeze, and, best of all, no humidity!! I even got to drink my coffee on our screened in porch {{my very favorite place to have coffee}} while the girls quietly watched Mickey Mouse. It was very close to perfection {{Bet you can guess what was missing}} and in a very short amount of time, a morning like this will in fact equal perfection. The weather was so nice, I decided to open up the house and let out some of the summer-stale and enjoy the cross breeze while I had my Saturday morning clean-up party.

Clean up parties don't last long around here, anymore. Why, you ask? Well, Pigpen and her little dirt-farming-sister seem to undo any cleaning I do, faster than I can clean, so it doesn't take long before I decide to move on to bigger and better things... Like baking {{hello, I'm pregnant! What else am I going to do?}}.

I periodically crave dumplings and have used several brands of empanada, ravioli, or wonton casings found in the commissary, to make them homemade. Recently, I came across these:


And they are by far the best I have used. They freeze and thaw well and they are easy to work with, without tearing apart. Having decided I needed {{NEEEEDED}} to make some thing sweet, I opened the fridge and there they were, calling to me from their little home in the deli drawer. I also happened to have 4 Granny Smiths and I quickly decided to make Apple Cinnamon Wontons.

Ingredients:
3-4 Granny smiths, peeled and chopped.
4ish tbsp of brown sugar
2 tsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
Package of wonton wrappers
1 stick of butter
1 egg white
1 tsp water


Combine all ingredients {{except the wonton wrappers and butter}} into a bowl and mix well while melting 4 tbsp of butter over med-low heat. Once butter is melted, but before it browns, add the apple mixture. Let simmer until it's all bubbly and delicious looking and then add the remaining butter. It is important not to let the moisture cook out of the apples. Also, the length of time you cook your apples is totally up to you and how cooked you like them to be. I like mine a little aldente and only cooked them for 7 or 8 minutes. Once they are done, remove them from heat and set aside for the filling process. {{If I had had some caramel squares, I would have thrown some in to melt down into the apples, at this point, and I think it would have been delicious!!}}


While the apples are simmering, beat an egg white and tsp of water together in a bowl and set up your wonton wrappers for filling. At this point you can also heat up a pan with oil or you can wait until you've filled your wontons, as once you get them in the hot oil, the process moves pretty quick. Brush the outer edges of the wonton wrappers with egg white and spoon a tbsp of the apple mixture into the center of one, top with the other and press edges together {{This would be good to let kids do, if they are helping you.}}


Drop the filled wonton into oil hot enough to make the edges bubble.


Turn when the edges start to brown. Cook for as long as it takes for the dough to bubble and lightly brown. Don't get distracted by other things or they *might* turn out a little darker than you anticipated.


Sprinkle with powdered sugar and be prepared to eat them with reckless abandon.


ENJOY!!









No comments: